- multi-platform journalist & content creator with experience in book publishing, online, magazines, newspapers, TV
- James Beard Award winner (2015; Cooking Light Mad Delicious)
- New York Times bestseller (2010; The Carb Lovers Diet)
- Luce Award for Best Book of the Year (2015; Cooking Light Mad Delicious)
- Luce Award Finalist for Best Blog (2010; "I'm a 220-pound Weight Loss Editor. Get Over It.")
- worked for Time, Inc. and ABC News / The Walt Disney Co.
- instructor at Le Cordon Bleu College of Culinary Arts in Atlanta
- Graduate Certificate in Marketing Strategy, Cornell University
- Master of Liberal Arts in Gastronomy, Boston University
- Culinary Arts Certificate, Boston University
- Les Dames D'Escoffier: founding member of the Birmingham, Alabama chapter
- Southern Foodways Alliance: member & scholarship winner (2004)
- Co-Founder, FoodBlogSouth (now FoodMediaSouth by the Southern Foodways Alliance)
- Co-Founder, Birmingham Public Library's Eat Drink Read Write Festival, Birmingham, AL
- BS in Mass Communications, emphasis Print Journalism
THE REST OF THE STORY (abridged version)
My dad was an officer in the US Army, so I grew up all around the world.
I've spent at least one night in 26 states, four continents, and ten countries.
I started writing when I was eight, and I started getting paid for it when I was 19.
By age 24, I was managing editor of a weekly metro newspaper.
Relentless curiosity drove me to start cooking at age six. I was a little hungry, too. (Mom's not the greatest cook.)
My globetrotting childhood gave me insatiable wanderlust, a habit of writing journals and stories,
and the handy skill of being able to order food in six languages.
Food has always been my medium for bringing people together. It works 100% of the time—even across language and cultural barriers.
That's what I love about creating cookbooks and writing about food.
I call Earth home—I've lived in so many cool places, it's hard to be more specific than that.
But if you had to pin me on a map, my family roots trace through two Southern grandmothers who were both awesome cooks.
I presently live in Atlanta, Georgia.